A new 4 year study done at Newcastle University in England found that wheat, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, cabbage and potatoes grown organically had 20-40% more nutrients than conventionally grown food.
“Eaters have real choices now, and those choices have real consequences, for our health and the health of the land and the health of our food culture- all of which, as we see, are inextricably linked.”
You have a longer life expectancy than your children. -New York Times March 17, 2005
Every dollar spent locally generates up to 6 times as much income for the local economy.
“People eating a Western diet are prone to a complex of chronic diseases that seldom strike people eating a more traditional diet.”
- The number of farmers’ markets has doubled in the last 10 years to more than 4000.
- Most food has traveled an average of 1500 miles to get to your table.
- “Just 100 years ago, 99% of Americans had something to do with the production of the food they ate. Now less then 1% does.”
-Brook Le Van
- If everyone would eat one meal a week from a local source we could save over 50 million barrels of oil per year.
- There are over 3800 varieties of tomatoes. Do you think you are missing out on anything?
Fruit & Vegetable Stickers, Why are they there?
You know the ones I’m talking about… the ones stuck to all of your produce at the store!!! These stickers tell you a lot about the food you are buying:
- A label with four digits indicates conventionally grown food.
- Labels with five digits starting with an 8 indicate that the food is genetically modified.
- Labels with 5 digits starting with a 9 indicate that the food is organically grown.
- This sticker will also let you know where it was grown.